Welcome to Northern California Botanists
Northern California Botanists is an organization with the purpose of increasing knowledge and communication among agency, consulting, academic, and other botanists about botanical issues concerning science, conservation, education, and professional development. Our primary objectives are to establish a communication forum via occasional meetings, a scholarship fund for students working on botanical problems in northern California, a job forum, and symposia that focus on the botany of northern California.
The geographic range for defining the Northern California Botanists (NCB) area of interest for symposia presentations, associated workshops, and student research scholarships includes the area extending northward--from the southern boundary of San Luis Obispo County and western slope of the Tehachapi Mountains, following the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada, to the southern boundary of Mono County. Students from any accredited college or university doing research within the NCB geographic range may apply for NCB student research scholarships. NCB welcomes members from all areas.
2014 Northern California Botanists Symposium
Northern California Plant Life – Botany for a Changing World
For more information on this year's Symposium, visit the Symposia Homepage!
NCB held their sixth symposium on January 13-14, 2014 at California State University, Chico. The theme was "Northern California Plant Life: Botany for a Changing World" with an emphasis on climate change and it's effects on the plant life. Sessions included Alpine Ecology, Rare Plants, Horticultural Conservation, Fungi, Pollinators, Wetlands, and New Discoveries. Dr. David Ackerly of the University of California, Berkeley. presented the Keynote Address following Monday's banquet.
Thank you to our many sponsors of the 2014 Symposium!
Agencies and Organizations:
- Bureau of Land Management
- California Botanical Society
- California Invasive Plant Council
- California Native Grasslands Association
- California Native Plant Socieity - State Office
- College of Natural Sciences, California State University, Chico
- Department of Biological Sciences, California State University, Chico
- ECORP Consulting
- Friends of the Chico State Herbarium
- Garcia & Associates
- Hedgerow Farms
- Mt. Lassen Chapter - California Native Plant Society
- North State Resources, Inc.
- Pacific Southwest Region (Region 5), US Forest Service
- Ray Collett Trust
- Shasta-Trinity National Forest
- Sierra Pacific Foundation
- Southern California Botanists
- University & Jepson Herbaria, UC Berkeley
Student Research Scholarships
NCB provides competitive botany and plant ecology research scholarships to undergraduate and graduate students who are studying botany and/or plant ecology. See the Scholarship Page for details!
Please email Northern California Botanists at email@example.com
NCB's mailing address:
Northern California Botanists
P. O. Box 8042
Chico, CA 95927-8042