Welcome to Northern California Botanists
Northern California Botanists is an organization with the purpose of increasing knowledge and communication among agency, consulting, academic, and other botanists about botanical issues concerning science, conservation, education, and professional development. Our primary objectives are to establish a communication forum via occasional meetings, a scholarship fund for students working on botanical problems in northern California, a job forum, and symposia that focus on the botany of northern California.
The geographic range for defining the Northern California Botanists (NCB) area of interest for symposia presentations, associated workshops, and student research scholarships includes the area extending northward--from the southern boundary of San Luis Obispo County and western slope of the Tehachapi Mountains, following the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada, to the southern boundary of Mono County. Students from any accredited college or university doing research within the NCB geographic range may apply for NCB student research scholarships. NCB welcomes members from all areas.
Diverse Environments: How Plants Succeed in Northern California
9-10 January 2017 with optional workshops on 11 January
California State University, Chico
Bell Memorial Union Auditorium
Northern California Botanists hosted their 8th botanical symposium on January 9-10, 2017 on the campus of California State University in Chico. Optional workshops were held on Wednesday, January 11. A 2-day schedule of presentations by working botanists included sessions on Special Soil Endemics, Influence of Summer Fog on Patterns of Plant Diversity, Insects on Plants, Now the Good News, Soil Seed Banks of California Native Plant Species, New Discoveries, and Lightning Talks. Thank you to all the speakers, poster presenters, and those who atttended!
Thank you to our many 2017 Symposium sponsors!
- Bureau of Land Management, California State Office
- California Botanical Society
- California Invasive Plant Council (Cal-IPC)
- California Native Grasslands Association (CNGA)
- California Native Plant Society (CNPS) – State Office
- California Native Plant Society (CNPS) – Redbud Chapter
- California Native Plant Society (CNPS) – Sacramento Valley Chapter
- California Native Plant Society (CNPS) – Shasta Chapter
- College of Natural Sciences, The Chico State Herbarium
- College of Natural Sciences, California State University, Chico
- Department of Natural Sciences, California State University, Chico
- Friends of the Chico State Herbarium
- Garcia and Associates (GANDA)
- Halkard Mackay
- Hedgerow Farms
- HDR, Inc.
- Lawrence Janeway
- Nomad Ecology
- Ray Collett Trust
- Robert A. Schlising
- Shasta Trinity National Forest
- Sierra Pacific Foundation
- Siskiyou Field Institute
- Stillwater Sciences
- The University and Jepson Herbaria, UC Berkeley
- Westervelt Ecological Services
Please email Northern California Botanists at firstname.lastname@example.org
NCB's mailing address:
Northern California Botanists
P. O. Box 8042
Chico, CA 95927-8042