Diverse Environments: How Plants Succeed in Northern California
Northern California Botanists hosted its 7th botanical symposium on January 11-12, 2016 on the campus of California State University in Chico. Optional workshops were held on Wednesday January 13. A 2-day schedule of presentations by working botanists included sessions on Plant Genetics 101, Managing in a Changing Climate, Locally Rare and Peripheral Plant Populations, Evolution of the California Flora, Restoration, New Discoveries, Now the Good News, and Lightning Talks
Thank you to Steve Rosenthal of the CNPS Santa Clara Chapter, for recording the Symposium presentations. You can view many of the presentations by clicking on the title of talk below or visiting the CNPS - SCV YouTube Channel.
Below are links to many of the posters presented at the symposium. Poster abstracts can be found in the Symposium Program starting on Page 23, listed alphabetically by presenting author name.
- A Hundred Years of Headlines Hidden in Herbaria. Ayalon, A., McNair, D., and Dean, E.
- Rejuvenation of Fire-Dependent Rare Plants: Responses of Hersperocyparis bakeri and Iliamna bakeri to the 2014 Eiler Fire and Management Implications. Bovee, K.M., and Merriam, K.E.
- A First Look at the Reproductive Biology of Astragalus applegatei: Oregon's Most Imperiled Plant. Byrne, K.M., Ongge, R., and Reid, J.
- Rare Fire Followers of Yosemite National Park. Campbell, D.
- The Effect of Climate Change and Site on the Above- and Belowground Bacterial Endophytic Communities of Subalpine Conifer Seedlings. Carper, D.L., Carrell, A.A., Keppers, L.M., and Frank, A.C.
- Rare Stony Creek Spurge Found in DWR Flood-Control Channel at Elder Creek near Gerber, Tehama County. Castro, B.
- Back in the Day: Documenting 125 Years of Vegetation Change in Sonoma County. Dawson, A.
- Characterizing Quantitative Variation in the Glossopodia of Three Western North American Isoetes Species. Freund, F.D.
- Discovery of a Diamond-Petaled California Poppy (Eschscholzia rhombipetala) Population on DWR Property in Alameda County. Hamamoto, L., and Radieve, G.
- Habitat and Distribution of Cornus canadensis on Snow Camp Mountain. Hayashi, B., and Cashman, G.
- Special-Status Plants in the Bucks Lake Area of Plumas National Forest. Keever, M.E., Jurjavic, N.L., Craydon, E.P., and Johnson, S.
- Interactions of Mycorrhizae, Native Grasses, and Quercus douglasii in California Blue Oak Woodlands. Neuenschwander, C.
- Development and Implementation of a Before-After / Control-Impaired Experiment to Determine Effects of Two Aquaculture Methods on Native Eelgrass Shoot Density. O'Connell, G.
- Comparison of Dichelostemma capitatum Subspecies Reveals Variation in Life Cycle Parameters. Preston, R.
- California Botanist Certification Formation: Purpose, Need, and Future Goals. Robison, M., Magney, D., Bartosh, H., and Sims, A.
- Single Burn Controls Goatgrass for at Least 7 Years. Marty, J., Sweet, S., and Buck-Diaz, J.
- Vegetation Successional Pattern Following a Forest Fire in Northern California. James, C., and Taylor, D.W.
- How Best to Manage for Biodiversity in the Guadalupe Nipomo Dunes Complex. Whitaker, L., Hall, J., and Steinmaus, S.
- This Tree's Not Big Enough for the Both of Us: Symptoms of Sudden Oak Death on Califoria Bay Laurel are Lower When Insect Herbivores are Abundant. Wininger, K., and Rank, N.
Thank you to our many sponsors of the 2016 Symposium!
- Bureau of Land Management, California State Office
- California Invasive Plant Council (Cal-IPC)
- California Native Grasslands Association (CNGA)
- California Native Plant Society (CNPS) - State Office
- California Native Plant Society (CNPS) - Redbud Chapter
- California Native Plant Society (CNPS) - Sacramento Valley Chapter
- California Native Plant Society (CNPS) - Shasta Chapter
- California Native Plant Society (CNPS) - Yerba Buena Chapter
- College of Natural Sciences, The Chico State Herbarium
- College of Natural Sciences, California State University, Chico
- Department of Biological Sciences, California State University, Chico
- Friends of the Chico State Herbarium
- Garcia and Associates (GANDA)
- Hedgerow Farms
- HDR, Inc.
- James R. and Julie K. Nelson
- Lawrence Janeway
- Nomad Ecology
- Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
- Ray Collett Trust
- Santa Barbara Botanic Garden
- Sierra Pacific Foundation
- Southern California Botanists
- Stillwater Sciences
- The Jepson and University Herbaria, University of California, Berkeley
- Westervelt Ecological Services,
- WRA, Inc.